Friday, September 24, 2010

Stuck in a rut

Let's talk about this rut I'm in.

It's deep.

And it's muddy down here.

I suggest to you I've been in this mess for about a month ... since I got back from the World Hockey Summit in Toronto.

You see, I've always known I missed sports writing and I waffle in between closure and non-closure, as I've proven on these very pages so many times.

For you to revel in my pain, you sadistic bastards.

All four of you.

The Summit was a brief glimpse into the life that would have ... could have ... should have ... I dunno ... but it was a been of some sort.

And then there's the weather. My God, could it be any more miserable?

Yes, I totally invoked my inner Chandler on that question.

Whatever the reason ...

I'm tired and yet I get enough sleep.

I'm crusty and yet there's little in my life worth being upset over.

I'm lazy but for getting my dog out for a walk and the occasional hour of yoga in my living room.

I'm not eating well, despite a personal challenge to give up alcohol, ice cream and Starbucks for the month. Hey, guess what ... there are still Twizzlers and Hot Pockets.

It takes effort to gfigure out what to eat, write all the ingredients down and make sure they're in the kitchen.

It takes effort to to the gym, from changing into gym clothes to getting there and hopping on the elliptical.

And I'm just not willing to put in the effort lately.

So what do I do to fix it?

How do I give myself the proverbial kick in the ass and get back to being active, healthy, alert me?

Step 1. Challenge myself to get to the gym and do some kind of movement every day ... in addition to walking the dog.
Step 2. Challenge myself to eat better. Convince myself that Twizzlers suck (they really really don't) and beer is the devil (it really really isn't).
Step 3. Write about and make sure I'm being accountable to myself.
Step 4. Go see that naturopath my brother Shane said I should go see. Maybe it's a food thing. Maybe I just need more Vitamin D.
Step 5. Step away from my laptop and read more ... books and magazines, not RSS feeds and blogs.

One of the first things I learned when I was doing a personal-trainer certification program some 10 years ago was that a person's brain and system need six to eight weeks to get addicted a health regimen.

So that's what I'll do ... starting Sunday (hey look, I'm going to the Flames game tomorrow night, cut me a break).

Challenge myself to move every day for eight weeks.

Get addicted again.

Because once those endorphins start kicking and I remember how it feels to feel great, I'll stop being so damn owly.

Oh don't fret. I'll still be caustic.

I'll just deliver my rapier wit with a smile.

Now to prove that I'm still making somewhat of an effort at eating well, here's what I made last night.

Sweet and Sour Chicken

Ingredients 
1/3 c. low-sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp raw honey
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 1/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped into one-inch pieces
1 medium green bell pepper, cut into one-inch chunks
1 medium red bell pepper, cut into one-inch chunks
1 small yellow onion, chopped (I used a leek)
1/2 fresh pineapple, cut into one-inch cubes (about 1 3/4 cups)
12 sprigs fresh cilantro (about 1/4 cup)
1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice, optional (I used quinoa)

Instructions

In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, honey, garlic, ginger and pepper flakes. Place chicken in a large shallow dish. Pour soy sauce mixture over chicken, tossing gently. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to eight hours.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken and marinade and sauté for five minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Add bell peppers and onions and cook for five minutes or until vegetables are slightly tender. Add pineapple and cook for two more minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve immediately over rice for a complete meal, if desired.

Nutrients per serving
(1 1/4 cups mixture, not including rice)
Calories, 161; total fat, 1.5 g; saturated fat, 0.25 g; monounsaturated fat, 0.25 g; polyunsaturated fat, 0.5 g; carbs, 17 g; fibre, 2 g; sugars, 13 g; protein, 21 g; sodium, 404 g; cholesterol, 48 mg

1 comment:

  1. Ruts are a phase. We all go through them. And survive.

    If you want to change things up some time I'm a willing co-conspirator.

    ReplyDelete