Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Change is good, so is Shep

In case you were wondering, Shep is back to normal but for the wound healing on his hind leg.


It's a pretty nasty gash, all the way through the layers of the skin to the thin layers of muscle on his leg.

He's been getting treatments of antibiotic Ozonol. He's still pretty fussy when I touch it ... you would, too, if someone was rubbing ointment into a deep open cut.

Dana checked him out, said he probably could have stood a stitch or two but he'll get away without needing any.

He's been such a good boy through the whole ordeal that I'm hoping to treat him in some way this weekend.

Maybe we'll head out to the woods ... nowhere near any cattleguards, that is.

Or, it's been time to head out to the Red Deer River valley and hang out at Dorothy.

I somehow find that little spot a very centring area and that's really what I need right now, to find my centre.

Everything has been off-kilter lately.

Some things I can't really change about my life, so I'm changing the things I can ... like my hair colour, like the way my evenings go, like what I do on the weekends.

Yeah, news flash. I completely changed the colour of my hair today. OK, I didn't ... my hairdresser Tisha did. And from all accounts — from face first to Facebook — people like it.

I'm a brunette now, not a blond. I don't know if it will last forever because I do rather enjoy being a toehead.

But it's a signal to me that it's time to start taking care of myself again instead of just being.

I almost feel like I've just been going through the motions for the last little while.

Changing things up ... that all goes part and parcel with the challenge.

And the two new pairs of shoes that should be arriving in the next two weeks. They really are quite darling, I swear.

You know new shoes always make me feel better.

So here's how the day went down:

IN THE KITCHEN
Breakie: Scottish oats with Hamish Knox blueberry jam and a scoop of vanilla protein powder
Early lunch: Ground turkey sauteed in taco seasoning on 1 1/2 cups of lettuce and 1/2 cup of chunked green pepper
Snack: Protein bar
Snack: 1/4 cup soy energy blend (it's a Costco jar of soy nuts, dried cranberries, almonds and seeds)
Dinner: Pho ... yeah, Vietnamese noodles, lettuce, bean sprouts, cukes, spring rolls and satay chicken ... on paper, it sounds healthy but I think there's a load of sugar in the fish sauce and I probably gulled too many of the noodles

Not probably. Did. I still feel them sitting right there at the top of my stomach.

ON THE MOVE
It's an off day from the gym, so I started by waking up and hitting the yoga mat. I did 20 minutes of Yoga Zone with Al. When I got home from work, I jumped into my sneakers and took Shep for a 30-minute stroll. It wasn't super intensive walking, since I'm still treating him a little gingerly. And then I just finished another 30 minutes of yoga with element and Elena Brower.

ON THE BRAIN
It was a tense day at the office ... the whole four hours that I was there. Interpersonal bullshit, so I'm trying to ease my mind about that stuff. I'm still plugging through In Her Shoes. The movie didn't steer remarkably away from the novel, although we're meeting the grandmother a lot sooner than the silver-screen version.

It may be unfortunate that I've already seen the movie, because I'm not really investing my brain in it yet. I'm just reading the words, not absorbing them.

That's the one thing I really enjoyed about the first Jennifer Weiner novel I read ... and then there's the Emily Giffin books. Her chick lit books drew me in and made me identify with the lead characters.

And oh hell, I had to do a search to remember her name and now I see they're making a movie out of Something Borrowed, starring Kate Hudson. I like Hudson ... I loved the book.

We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment