Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Breaking the fast ... in a good-for-you way

I don't know about the rest of y'all but I struggle with figuring out breakfasat and keeping it healthy.

I hate bacon but I thought 'turkey bacon might be all right.' Until I got the package home and saw it contained more fat than protein.

Note to self: read nutritional information before buying.

Every day - almost every day - I go with two egg whites, scrambled, and a whole wheat English muffin. Shep gets the yolks.

It gets a bit boring.

And now with Tooth Debacle 2010 still keeping me on soft food, I have to be careful about what I'm eating. Yogurt and berries, cottage cheese, croissants and soup have been my staples since Saturday.

Sounds delicious, no?

This morning, I thought 'man, those blueberries only have about a day left.' But I'd already packed a bunch for my lunch.

Then I remembered a recipe for blueberry pancakes.

They're actually called Bodybuilder Blintzes, probably because they come from an old Muscle and Fitness book I picked up about a decade ago.

I topped them with the last of my wild huckleberry syrup from Idaho (sad face). Of course, that means I have to make a run for the border to pick up some more (happy face).

Without further adieu, here's the recipe, as designed by IFBB pro Eddie Robinson.

(Pssst ... look for a bonus recipe at the bottom.)

Bodybuilder Blintzes

Ingredients
1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
1/2 cup non-fat milk (I used soy)
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour (I used spelt)
2 egg whites
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1 cup whole fresh blueberries
Nonstick cooking spray

Instructions
Combine cottage cheese, milk and flour. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until frothy, then add to cottage-cheese mixture. Stir in lemon juice, then fold in blueberries. Pour batter as pancakes onto a heated frying pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Cook until top begins to bubble and bottom is lightly browned, then turn. Cook through, then serve.

Serves two.

Nutritional information (per serving)
Calories, 307; protein, 22 g; carbohydrates, 48; fat, 3 g.

Oh P.S. I added a scoop of Body Fortress vanilla whey, adding 70 calories, 1 g carb and 12.5 grams of protein.

My lovely syrup was 37 calories, no fat and 8.6 g of carbs.

And now your bonus recipe from the same book.

They're yummy. I've made them before, just not recently. Funny how you forget about some things.

Oatmeal Puffs

Ingredients
1 cup quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup crushed pineapple
4 egg whites
1/4 cup skim milk
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 small box raisins (eh ... optional ... not a big of raisins)
3 tbsp sugar

Instructions
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl; let sit 10 minutes. Coat a nonstick skillet with cooking spray and place over medium-high heat. For each puff, spoon two heaping tablespoons of batter into skillet. Brown on one side, flip and brown the opposite side, making sure puff is cooked through.
Makes six servings. Double up on servings for a larger breakfast.

Nutritional information (per serving)
Calories, 101; protein, 5 g; carbohydrates, 18 g; fat, 1 g.

I'd probably add another scoop of whey to up the protein content.

1 comment:

  1. I've been looking for the bodybuilder blintzes recipe for quite some time. I got rid of all my old Mags. Been out the bodybuilding seen for a long time. But have recently made the decission to get beck on the horse so to speak. I remember these being one of my fav. breakfasts. Awesome!
    Thank You,
    Jason

    ReplyDelete