Sunday, August 29, 2010

Hanging 'em up?

Deadlifts and bentover rows ... you know what I noticed today?

My right shoulder sagging.

And no matter how hard I tried I could not get that sucker up into proper position.

It desperately wanted to drop lower and give up on almost every rep.

It's one of the reasons I'm 90 per cent sure I won't be doing anything other than sparing for a team next summer.

And as I thought today about that sagging shoulder ... and the way it wakes me up at night when I sleep on my right side ... I thought about the things I've been sacrificing to play ball in the summer.

Here's a short list:

* My dog: Shep gets neglected for walks on the days I have league play, whether it's co-ed or women's. Let's not even get into the weekends.

* My photography: More than a year ago, my former shrink said do the things that spark my creativity if I'm not getting enough at my job. I get so happy when I get that perfect shot.

* My writing: See above reason. I live to write. And write to live.

* My health: One shoulder ... fucked up for life. A hand, broken in 2007, will never regain its full strength. Knees, skin ...

* My fitness: Yesterday was my first day back at the gym in a month. And that sucks.

* My nutrition: Do you know the filth they sell at the ballpark? And we're not allowed to bring our own food in. People are convinced a taco salad bag is nutritional ... greasy regular ground topped with Doritos, salsa and gobs of sour cream. But hey, it has lettuce in it. And then there's the beer ... I love beer but not as much as I drink it to get through a night at the park.

* My money: Don't be fooled. This is an adult educational sport and it is damned expensive. Each of my cleats have two huge holes in them ... I don't think I'll be replacing them.

* My learning: I read on the plane to Toronto and back to Calgary. I started that book in April. My brain turns to goo for five months of every year.

* My sanity: The drama, the gossip, the nitpicking, the nattering, the backstabbing ... for Christ's sake people, junior high was 25 years ago for me. Grow. The. Fuck. Up.

I'm going on 30 years playing ball, picking up my first bat when I was five or six. I played with my brothers in the backyard.

My parents built a backstop on our acre of property. It was made from a fishing net and branches cut down from trees in the pasture behind our house.

We swung wood then.

Now we swing composite aluminum and bats retail for $400. Yeah, $400.

It's stupid.

And I think I'm done.

Because I don't think slopitch should outweigh any of those sacrifices listed above.

---

And now, my latest fare from the most recent Clean Eating Magazine:

Cajun Scallops and Mango Salsa

Ingredients

2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 mango, peeled and chopped
1/2 small onion, chopped (I used a leek.)
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped (I used freeze dried and had to cut way back, maybe 1/4 cup.)
Juice of one lime
Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
1 1/2 lb. sea scallops (Family Foods didn't have sea scallops, I went with the tiny ones.)
Olive oil cooking spray

Cajun Rub
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder (I used fresh garlic and it got all clumpy because of the moisture. Boo.)
1 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp chile powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

Instructions

1. In a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, mango, onion, jalapeño pepper and cilantro. Squeeze lime juice over tomato mixture and season with salt and black pepper. Set aside in refrigerator.

2. Combine all Cajun Rub ingredients in a small bowl. Heat a large nonstick skilled over medium-high heat. Pat scallops dry with paper towel and season both sides with the rub. Lightly mist skillet with cooking spray. Add scallops and cook for two minutes per side. Serve with mango salsa, garnishing with additional cilantro, if desired.

Nutrients per serving (3 or 4 scallops and 3/4 cup salsa)
Calories, 213; total fat, 2 g; saturated fat, 0.25 g; carbs, 19 g; fibre, 2.5 g; sugars, 10 g; sugars, 10 g; proteins, 30 g; sodium, 569 g; cholesterol, 56 mg

3 comments:

  1. P.S. IT'S SLOW PITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's one thing to make sacrifices for something you love.

    It's another to just sacrifice.

    ReplyDelete