With apologies to Chris de Burgh for that headline ...
Funny thing about pig meat. I can't stand bacon ... the smell of it, the look of it, the texture of it, the greasiness.
But that doesn't mean you throw the whole pig out with the dish water. Ground pork? Check. Pork tenderloin? Check.
It is, after all, the other white meat, right? Or is that turkey? Wait ... that's the other other ... I don't know.
In any case, here's a recipe from a recent Clean Eating that wowed my taste buds into a sense of deliciousness.
Spanish Pork with Redskins
2 redskin potatoes, cut into one-inch pieces
1 zucchini, sliced into half-inch rounds
1 medium onion, sliced into half-inch rounds
3 tsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
4 cloves garlic, sliced
3/4 lb. extra-lean ground pork
1 c. frozen peas
1 c. frozen corn
1 red bell pepper, minced
1 tbsp sweet paprika*
1 medium tomato, chopped*
Juice of half a lemon
1/2 tsp. sage*
1/2 tsp. thyme
Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
1 oz. goat cheese
1. Fill a medium pot with water and bring to a boil. Add potatoes, cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes. Pierce potatoes with a knife to ensure they're tender, then remove from heat and drain.
2. While potatoes are cooking, sauté zucchini and onion in 1.5 tsp oil over medium heat for three minutes. Add garlic and cook for another minute, stirring constantly to prevent garlic from burning. Stir in pork, peas, corn and paprika. Cook for five more minutes, making sure all ingredients are evently distributed across surface of pan.
3. Remove pork mixture from heat and stir in bell pepper, tomato and lemon juice. Cover with lid to keep warm while finishing potatoes.
4. Gently toss potatoes with remaining oil. Add sage and thyme and season with salt and black pepper. Place about 1/2 cup potatoes alongside quarter of pork mixture (about 1.5 cups) on each plate, then crumble quarter of cheese over top before serving.
Nutrients per serving
Calories, 350; total fat, 9 g; saturated fat, 3 g; carbs, 35 g; fiber, 6 g; sugar, 6 g; protein, 33 g; sodium, 156 mg; cholesterol, 26 mg
- Forgot the paprika ... dummy!
- Was out of sage, so I substituted rosemary
- Used grape tomotoes, cut in half, instead of a whole tomato ... a sweeter result, I think.