Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Rumble in the sky

There isn't an athlete worth her salt who doesn't know what a suicide drill is.

Just show me one who doesn't groan - and die a little inside - every time she hears its name.

So it was on the first night of Champagne Fitness Bootcamp, brought to us by my dear friend, Terri Champagne.

Three sets of suicide runs - as the thunder rolled in the distance, us all never having a clue there was a torrential downpour in the southwest corner of the city.

I hate cardio. I loathe it. Despise it. What's another good word for hate?

I used to run. I'd do almost 10K three times a week. Then I couldn't figure out where I was going or why I was going there. It bored me to tears and I stopped.

I like to spike my heart rate in my weight training. Tell me you're not out of breath after doing six squats at 125% of your body weight.

When I do cardio, I try my best to make it interesting, doing intervals on the elliptical or going as fast as I can for a full mile. Plyometrics make a workout fun, too - whether it's box jumps, step-up jumps, BOSU lunges, balance board pushups and squats, or medicine ball work.

But I get pretty one-track minded and all I really want to do is get into the weight room and work on my strength.

Thus, I had trepidation about joining the boot camp, wondering if Terri was going to make us run 5K holding weights above our heads, like I did with Soldiers of Fitness.

Terri, however, is great at recognizing our limitations - no, that's not the right word. Let's go with 'struggles.'

When she sees someone struggling with an exercise, whether it's a fitness level thing or a physical impediment, she'll adjust the movement to better suit the client.

For instance, I tore my rotator cuff in 2004. Actually, in the words of my doctor, my darn little supraspinatus was 'shredded.'

And, of course, as an avid slopitch player, it is under constant fire in the summer time. No matter how much muscle strength I build up around this poor little bit of fibres and nerves, it has its moments of pain.

Plank walks, then, are not in the cards. Plank kickbacks, though, are.

The great thing is, there's no escape. Sure, you can bail out of an exercise, but Terri is ever mindful and wants us all to reap the full benefits of this bootcamp.

As much as that's up to her to guide us through the exercises, it's also up to us as clients to give our full participation.

Because she isn't going to crunch our abs for us.

Here's a few handy things to remember:
  • Bring water, lots of it
  • Might be a good idea - especially for a sweater like me - to have a towel handy
  • Give yourself a 90-minute window between eating and bootcamp
  • Don't eat anything heavy, like buying into the game-day pasta myth
  • Puking is an option
See you Thursday!

1 comment:

  1. GREAT post, Ange! As always I love your writing, but want to thank you for your feedback on bootcamp. It is always my priority to ensure that each and every bootcamp participant gets the best workout that he or she can, so modifications are a MUST! I look forward to seeing you 2x/week(ish) for the next while, missy xo

    ReplyDelete