Monday, May 24, 2010

Put the camera down

I didn't take a single picture in the last week.

I didn't even touch my camera.

Didn't put it in the truck.

Why?

I just didn't feel like it.

It seems I've been saturating my life with projects and plans and obligations.

And the second something starts to feel like an obligation, I start to hate it.

I've been playing around with cameras since I was 14. I have fond memories of being the nerdy kid in high school who spent her free hours in the dark room, sniffing developer and fixer.

Aaaaah ... I miss those light-headed days.

Then shooting became a job. It was a bonus for my newspapers that I was adept at not only writing sports but shooting it, too.

Eventually, an editor sucked all the joy out of it. And when I left for a job where only my wordsmithing was required, I sold all my pro gear.

Every last lens and filter.

I went back to it a few years ago and I've been loving it all over again. But lately, it's been feeling like a job.

Maybe I'm shooting too much. Maybe I'm sharing it too much. Maybe ... I don't know.

But it felt right to leave the camera in the bag this weekend.

And maybe it will just sit there for a few days until I start to miss it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment