Tuesday, December 29, 2009

2010: A year of learning

Oh dear.

It seems my mind is going to be kept busy in the next calendar year.

In less than five minutes, I've devised a reading list based on a number of topics that interest me.

Specifically, I'm fascinated how the digital age is affecting not only communications among the general populus, but also our ability to engage in real-life social interaction and critical thinking. (There's also the drastic polarization of American politics. I can't help but be intrigued by this phenomenon.)

I started with Idiot America by Charles Pierce and The Cult of the Amateur by Andrew Keen.

In backtracking through Keen's blog, I've found he recommends Dick Meyer's Why We Hate Us: American Discontent in the New Millenium.

In a review of the book, Keen writes: "Dick Meyer is right. There is indeed something rotten in America today. And it could get worse, much much worse. Economic meltdown plus social change plus technological upheaval could add up to one furiously belligerent America. The world needs to take note. If the American brain really does go boom, it will bust not just America, but also the rest of the planet."

Sounds good, no?

Here is the rest of my reading list for 2010:

And for fun:

2 comments:

  1. but you've left off your list your most favouritest author of all time!!!!

    ReplyDelete