Sunday, October 25, 2009

Oh ... my eyes ... my burning eyes

What's that light-bulb moment you get when you realize you've been spending too much time on the Web?

I got mine yesterday.

Mindlessly playing game after game after game of Bejeweled Blitz on Facebook, I got the following air message:

It was like Facebook was yelling at me, 'Hey, loosah, put the laptop down!' And then I looked over at my dog, who was patiently waiting for his walk, and his eyes seemed to say the same thing.

Damn.

Later in the night, though, I Stumbled upon a blog detailing five eye exercises to improve your vision.

Like the Facebook message that reminds me to look away from the screen now and again and focus my eyes on a distant object, Steve Aitchison wants us to keep our eyes healthy.

The U.K. blogger says there has been a 'marked increase in the number of people who wear glasses and contact lenses' over the past 10-15 years.

Count me as one of them. And that was before I would spend my working hours and off hours pounding away on a computer. I started wearing glasses when I reached university.

It was really surprising last year, though, when my optometrist said, 'you have the eyes of a 60-year-old' and I had to spend more than $500 on a pair of special lenses for my glasses.

First, I have astigmatism, so my eyes tire quickly. And hours on the computer without looking at other stuff doesn't help.

Next, I'm near-sighted.

And finally, I have cataracts in my left eye, likely the result of the concussions which have caused me to stop playing hockey.

But what's a girl to do when her job revolves around a computer? And when she loves to use the fool thing to stay in touch with family and friends or while away the hours at home?

Outside of getting a real life - haha - I guess I'll have a run at Steve Aitchison's eye exercises and see if they can help.

After all, these sound a lot easier than my squats and deadlifts!

No comments:

Post a Comment