Saturday, June 21, 2008

Off with her head!

"He's not the one for you."

"He's not good for you."

"I don't think he's treating you well enough."

C'mon, ladies ... we've all heard this from our friends before. We're all sitting around the bar/living-room/ballpark having a beer/lemonade/tea.

All of a sudden, the topic of conversation turns to your relationship. You start looking around for the cameras ... what is this? Friggin' A&E's Intervention for Losers in Love?

Yes, yes, it is. Just minus the cameras and fame. More like it comes with infamy ... the infamy of once again finding out your friends can't stand the man in your life.

Oh sure, they'll be nice to him. They'll smile and nod ... let him think he's entertaining them (yeah, yeah, I always date the class clown, too ... who ultimately gets upstaged by my own class-clownedness and then gets pissed off and .... SIDEBAR!).

Ah yes, me the class clown. Enough time has passed that now I can look at my friends, say 'why didn't you warn me about him' and take off into a sprint, laughing my ass off, as they miss another opportunity to pummel me physically instead of verbally.

But picture it if you will ... the boy is out for a night with the boys doing boy things, likely talking about how miserable they are with their women, and the girls are hanging out, talking about the boys.

1943 Berlin.

"Eva, he's just not right for you."

"My darling Eva, he's going to be the death of you."

"Why are you digging yourself into this hole in the ground, Eva?"

Better yet, Paris 1792 ...

"Marie, sweetie, he isn't worth all the cake in France!"

"Ma cherie, don't lose your head over this guy!"

You see? Hooking up with the wrong guy isn't exactly new.

We've been doing it for centuries.

And we've been not listening to our friends for just as long. So don't be surprised when we do it again. We love you and we love you for your advice.

But we also have a very female predisposition not to listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment